Thursday, November 1, 2007

What's your talent?

So, yesterday I was reading the kids a book about a kid who didn't think he had any talents. I asked the kids what talent they thought they had. I was hoping this would be a wonderful moment to let them know how special and great they are and to let them know that everyone had unique talents. Well, it didn't quite go that way. Paige had to think for a little bit but Lane piped up that his talent was playing "Star Wars" and then Paige's eyes lit up and she said "I know, I'm good at watching movies." This is where I need to tell you what a great mother I am and I enrich my children's lives constantly. I should go on to brag that they could read by the age of 1 and are small mathematicians. But then I would have to admit that they probably learned all that by watching movies. I felt that the following picture would be appropriate (Paige watching an enriching movie with her winter coat on).

So, it got me thinking of what talents I've noticed in my kids. Lane is such a great big brother. I overheard them outside with friends and Lane was telling all the kids how fast Paige is. "She runs faster than anyone I know," said Lane. Well then Lane's friend said "Let's have a race and see who is faster." Let me point out that Lane hates to lose so I didn't see a great outcome. Lane would have no mercy and end up wiping Paige's face in his dust. So I peeked out the window and I saw a little girl trying her hardest with legs pumping as fast as they could and Lane following behind her running zigzags so he wouldn't catch up to her and she would win. I started having flashbacks of my two big brothers letting me play football in the snow and making me feel like I was actually the key player in the game and that without me they couldn't get a touchdown. I was their Reggie Bush. I was so proud of Lane. (Those enriching movies ARE teaching them something. :) Paige is very good at sharing. Unfortunately for me she has been sharing her Halloween candy with me. All I have to say is "that's one of my favorites." Wha-lah, I have a candybar. Paige was handing out candy to her grandparents and someone said "Why don't you keep that for yourself." Her reply was "I already had a piece." This was one of those small boxes of milkduds that only has 3 pieces and she seemed upset trying to figure out how everyone could have one. I didn't really want this to be a brag session about my kids because in the same breath they can be holy terrors and fight and scream. So take this all with a grain of salt.

5 comments:

sharonverdine said...

Is TMNT an enriching movie?

Blake said...

Only to little girls who want to be Raphael for Halloween. Blame it on Aunt Stephanie.

Anonymous said...

Okay Jen, I am really jealous. My kids only argue over who is going to be the princess and insist that there can only be one princess. The others have to be lesser then that, such as the prince!

Blake said...

Kristy, My kids would love to be the Jedi or guard kitty protecting your princesses. Let us know if their service is ever needed. :)

Stephanie said...

YES, tmnt is enriching!! EVERYONE knows that anything Aunt Stephie sends is wholesome and clean and enriching! Ask Raphael and Star Wars boy! :)

Jen, Paige looks so cute!

Did you think of your talents too Jenny Dear?! You better! I remember a certain sweet sister who would play Barbies or Strawberry Shortcake with me long after she lost interest.

And by the way - it's ok to brag about your kids - it's YOUR blog! Besides, they are the bestest niece and nephew EVER!!!