1. Is it okay to "banish" Jimi to the basement while we are sleeping and during the day when I'm not there or does that seem too mean? The basement has full windows, glass doors, litter box, food, and plenty of rubbermaids to climb on because I'm lazy and haven't put them away. Plus it has a cozy beanbag or two.
2. We think Blake may be allergic to Jimi. What is there to help him (Blake, not Jimi. He thinks he owns the house anyway)? Does Claritin actually work?
3. What do I do to keep him from jumping on the counters?
4. Is it normal for them to stretch their fingers and claws out and then pull them back in while they are laying on you and how can I get him to stop or will he grow out of it?
That's just a few questions for now and I'm sure I'll have others. I'm so animal ignorant. Lane told me that he wished he could have a deer for a pet.
5 comments:
Okay, I actually have some answers:
1) It is fine to banish him to the basement any time you want. He is a cat and won't actually get his feelings hurt.
2) I don't know anything about Claritin.
3) I think your spraying tactic will cure him of getting on your counter. If not, you could always knock him off. Cats always land on their feet.
4) The claws in and out will soon turn into what I call "kneading" like dough. You are going to want to stop that. He will not grow out of it and it hurts.
Well, 3 out of 4 ain't bad, eh?
1. Good luck.
2. No it doesn't. We just keep boxes of tissues in every room of the house and I try not to let them climb on my chest.
3. Yelling and throwing things at them also works.
4. Agreed. The issue is the kneeding is a comfort thing that is instinctive it comes from stimulating milk production prior to being weaned. As such it's a hard thing to stop.
Well, you learn something new everyday - I did not know that is the reason for the kneading. There ya go...
1. Banish away. Better to start early rather than wait. We couldn't get away with it now.
2. Don't let him sleep on your pillow.
3. I've heard that putting double sided tape or taping foil on the counters helps.
4. It's normal but I don't know how to stop it. My cats didn't start until we'd had them for a few years so it's really odd.
Good luck.
Blake - I use cetirizine tablets. I think that is generic Zytrec (sp?). I was tested and found serverly allergic to dust and moderately to cats and dogs (we have four of the beasts). Helps tons.
Post a Comment