Paige took this picture so it's a little short on head room.
Saturday, July 12, 2008
Singing in the rain...
It's a little late, but happy 4th of July. We spent our 4th of July like we do almost every year, just in a new town or state. I spend a whole week trying to talk Blake into participating in a crazy people infested holiday where you have to wait in traffic for longer than humanly possible (especially for Blake). Only to then be rewarded with 15-20 minutes of awe-inspiring flashes of light to which everyone has to say "ahhhhh...". And then it's time to get back in the car and wait in traffic for longer than humanly possible (and complain about other peoples bad driving). This year was a little more exciting than our previous years. 2006- Albany, NY- too far away to actually see much and could barely hear the big BOOMS. (The "booms" are half the fun). 2007- Albany, again- On top of the Albany Med. parking garage with teenagers blowing smoke in our faces and explaining to the kids that we don't say "those kind of words". Here is 2008- West Virginia- Forecast predicts thunderstorms. More like torrential downpour, can't see the car in front of you, hydroplaning on the freeway type of thunderstorm. I say to Blake "Let's just go see the chaos and see how bad it is", followed by "I'm so sorry I made you drive through this," while I try to relax my white-knuckled grip on the door. Blake is such a sport because he knows that there are very few things that I enjoy in this world more than fireworks. They are what summer is all about. I could take the time now and go all patriotic on you but I won't. I love my country and the freedoms I enjoy. I am so grateful for our soldiers (my father was one) and I pray for peace. Look I just got patriotic on you. Anyway, the drive out there turned out to be productive. After we sat in the rainy car for 45 mins. (discussing or cussing at each other) we unloaded and found a place to sit under our umbrellas. The rain eased up enough that it wasn't too miserable. The orchestra played beautifully (after the threat of electrocution passed). And the fireworks were great including the ashes falling in our eyes. We were close enough to hear and feel the "boom". I commented to Blake how perfect it was that the rain stop raining during the fireworks and right when we got back to the car to go home it started up again. Lane told me the next day that he prayed that it would stop raining for the fireworks. I was so proud of him. Not only for praying, but for having the faith that it would stop raining. He saved my firework night. I'm glad that my children have opportunities for their testimonies to grow. And that with all our imperfections as parents, there are some good things that they have learned from Blake and I. I don't think this blog entry would be complete without a couple pictures of umbrellas. You won't be able to tell who is sitting under them but trust me that they are our two kids.


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Your kiddos are sure growing up fast! Glad you got to see the fireworks!
Oh the things we do!! It's all about making those memories. I am glad you got to see the fireworks...LOVE the umbrellas!!
Post a Comment