I met someone years ago who said that she wanted to live her life with no regrets. I don't think that it is possible. If you're imperfect and human I think there will always be regrets or lessons learned that we wish we could do over. I always remind myself that hindsight is 20/20 especially when I'm being hard on myself. Having said that, I have a couple of regrets about parenthood that for some reason has been on my mind lately. Maybe it was Lane's milestone a week ago or maybe it's because one year is ending and another is getting ready to begin. Whatever the reason, I'd still like to share it and throw it out in the blog-o-sphere.

I regret not enjoying my little ones more when they were little. I look at old pictures and I see such innocence and joy in their faces. I regret getting caught up in trying to be a "perfect" parent or trying to make ends meet, or trying to do it with Blake working nights (those were hard). I feel like I'm forgetting their "little-ness" as they turn in to big kids. I don't want to look back when they are 18 yrs. old and wonder were all the time went. I regret being hard on myself as a new parent trying to figure it all out. So for parents who still have "little-ness" around them remember that it doesn't matter if they aren't potty trained until they are going into High School, it's okay that they spilled red kool-aid all over the kitchen and it splash so far that it's in the living room too, and the hugs, kisses, smiles and kind words matter more than most anything else.
I know, my kids are still young and I still get hugs and kisses because I'm the coolest mom ever (to them). I've been know to say a prayer that most parents probably utter - that I don't mess them up because of my shortcomings. My intentions are always pure and full of love for them and I want to be the best mom that they need. I will never regret becoming a parent. I adore my full-time job and know that my children are the main reason for my existence. I have been stretched more than I ever would have asked for and have been blessed 10x more than I would have ever expected.
There is no regret when it is done with love and kindness. I'm off to kiss my sleeping angels. (They are so quiet and peaceful when they're sleeping).
4 comments:
Thanks Jen, that is just what I needed since I just sent Lilly to bed after cleaning up her body which she covered in marker and my walls that will never be without her marks (pensil, pen, marker...) on them. I mumbled under my breath about how she was going to get it tomarrow, put her in bed, then read your blog. You are a great mom and friend. Love ya! Guess I better go kiss my quiet, clean baby too.
Hey Jen! Wow! I'm so glad you found mine! I love how this works! You got it right- no better VT! I cannot believe you big your cute kids are. I'll keep checking on your blog to keep up with everything you are up to. Take Care!
Hello my friend - you've always been an amazing mom and friend. It's amazing how kids turn out well despite us parents :-)!
Jen-
I looked up your blog from your Christmas card and just wanted to say thank you for your insight under "Am I the best person for the job?" Sometimes I forget.
Thanks again,
Marissa
Post a Comment